Just Dance!!

10:19:00 AM

“From the oldest of times, people danced for a number of reasons. They danced in prayer… or so that their crops would be plentiful… or so their hunt would be good. And they danced to stay physically fit… and show their community spirit. And they danced to celebrate.” And that is the dancing we’re talking about. Aren’t we told in Psalm 149 “Praise ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song. Let them praise His name in the dance”? And it was King David – King David, who we read about in Samuel – and what did David do? What did David do?

It's one of the greatest movies of all time.  Or at least in my book.  To this day this movie will make me jump to my feet and break it down as if I am a student at Bomont High experiencing my first prom.  And I am not a dancer.  But it doesn't matter... I feel like one when I am dancing along Ren McCormack.  His passion about dance carries over and inspires those around him.

When I was in kindergarten, my mom signed me up for ballet at the American Dance Academy.  I remember being so excited to start.  But then, my next memory is doing leaps across the dance floor.  While everyone else's resembled a graceful deer leaping across a meadow, mine, well, it looked more like a spastic frog hopping from one lily pad to the next.  It wasn't good.  Or so I thought.  

Comparison with my neighbor started at a very young age for me.  I wished that I had not cared so much or instead allowed it to motivate me to push forward.  However, I allowed it to let me quit.  After 3 years of dance, I called it quits.  But the truth is, I had quit long before that.  I had made it up in my mind that I was not a dancer.  Dream over.  I got my trophy and that was enough for me.  But I never stopped loving dance.  I have always loved dance.  Sure, the cheerleading dancing that I did in high school was fun and proms, well I was always the white girl who thought she could dance, but it wasn't the same.  I loved ballet.  I loved the movements, the grace, the strength.  Still do.

That is why when I had my first little girl, I knew that dance would be her first activity.  Thankfully, I have a house full of girls and they all love to dance.  This past year, I watched my oldest two blossom  in their dance class.  Their teacher spoke life into them with every move, every step and taught them so much more than positions and coordination.   She taught them confidence.  She taught them how to believe in themselves and that dance is fun.   I watched them leap across the room, unafraid without the slightest concern of what others thought.  They were inspired by one another and they saw dance in a way that I wished I had as young girl.  They came home and practiced as much as possible and even taught their mama a thing or two. 

The best part was when I started to see this "dance" take place during worship music.  Every morning, we take some time to listen to music.  Sometimes the girls play, sometimes they color and sometimes they dance.  When the dancing starts in the kitchen, I usually stop whatever it is I am doing... straight out of awe.  You can literally feel His presence as they welcome Him in with their pure hearts and their dancing.  

Everyone should dance.  I don't care if it's the graceful deer or the spastic frog... just dance.  Dance until you feel better.  Dance until you find peace.  Dance until you laugh at yourself.  Dance until you are inspired.  
Just Dance. 








You Might Also Like

0 comments

Facebook.

Instagram.

Subscribe