21 days without Facebook...

3:42:00 PM

24 days ago I decided to take a much needed Facebook fast for 21 days... You can read about my decision to create more margins in my life here

I decided that since I was going to "free" myself of some things that I should document each day with what I did with all my extra time.  Because isn't that what we do... we free ourselves so that we can find more things to busy ourselves with?!?! ha!

I have to admit... deleting the social network was extremely difficult at first.  This made me realize that this fast was even more important than originally thought.  So what did I learn/ busy myself with???
.............................................................

DAY 1.  exercised 15 minutes longer than usual.

2.  relearned how to use the telephone (very funny story behind this one...) 

ME:  "but how am I supposed to get a hold of her?!?!?!" 
WADE: "ummmm...maybe you could try this thing called the telephone???"

3.  actually tried to "sneak a peak" while Wade was on FB... realizing my "problem"  (btw...he never gets on FB, so I know this was to torture me!)

4.  spent more time blogging (you may have noticed)

5.  realized that FB is actually a great way to ask for prayer and praise the Lord for all the good in your life!
...(I gave in this day and posted for prayer for sweet Lela)

6.  compared myself to others less...  (I still caught myself wondering what people were up to)

7.  realized that my Blackberry is really boring!

8.  played with my girls more

9.  actually left my computer off all day!!! 

10.  Hubby was out of town... missing my Facebook company.

11.  discovered people actually still use email as a source of communication (thanks to those that wrote me)

12.  spent my girls nap time eating Newmans honey mustard sauce and pretzels... yummmm!

Somewhere between day 13 and 21...

I lost count and actually forgot about facebook, which is why it is now day 24... a reminder from my Blackberry popped up to tell me that my fast was over.  This proves that a life without social networking CAN be accomplished... just takes some adjusting and deleting the notification button from your phone!

Which brings me to the conclusion...  I am not positive that this fast left me with open margins.  Maybe, but I am pretty sure I filled them with other things?  But I do believe that it was a healthy fast.  I woke up each morning and my first thought was my BIBLE... not the notifications that my phone may be waiting to display.  I spent more time with MY family and less time catching up on others.  I had to actually make an effort in communicating with friends and use the telephone... or better yet, a nice lunch date.  I think social networking is great... but I do think that I need to do everything, even the good stuff, in moderation.  Even blogging...

.............................................................


BTW... my Lela is just a few steps from walking!!!  Look at those sweet legs...


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Facebook.

Instagram.

Subscribe